Saturday 1 September 2007

Realization of the Day:

A haircut can change one's outlook entirely!

It can! I promise! I found out that the salon a block away from my dorm is an Aveda salon and so I went in today to see if they had an appointment open. Since I have such short hair, if I don't get a trim every couple of months I start to look really grungy, and not in that good, early 90s way (was that ever good?). I was heading down the path to mullet-ville and in a reasonably homesick mood, so I decided to throw caution to the wind and try the random salon!

The thing with short hair is, one small misstep and one can look very much like a guy. Let's face it, I'm not exactly the most feminine woman in the world; I like being androgynous (I think it adds to my quirky charm, don't you?) so I like having shorter hair, but there's always a risk that someone is going to give me a really bad cut.

Not today! The woman who cut my hair was tremendous. She ever-so-carefully cut each section, sometimes stopping to cut a single stray hair. The result? A wonderful pixie cut with short 'fringe' (or bangs in the U.S., as I soon realized). I am a very happy camper, feeling much lighter, and ready to take on the world again! Grrr!