Saturday 1 September 2007

A Most Satisfactory Day

I went to the Tate Britain today with a friend I've made who lives at my dorm. She's also a graduate student and specializes in 18th century history at Harvard. We've spent many a night talking in our kitchen about our experiences living abroad.

We walked along the south bank of the Thames near the theatre district, which is a place I rarely go in London. It was a beautiful afternoon, especially when I spotted Big Ben through the trees and Westminster Abbey just down the road. It was nice to be in the throng of tourists, all excited to be in London, instead of the usual somber Londoner.

The Tate Britain was an an unexpected treat. Everywhere I turned there were paintings I recognized from my childhood. They have an amazing collection of the Pre-Raphaelites' paintings, like the one on the right. (Mom, we HAVE to go there together, you'd love it!) Four days before I leave for the States they're putting on a giant exhibition of all their paintings. I have to see it before I leave!! There was also a special exhibit called 1807: William Blake, Slavery, and the Radical Mind that had some of Blake's art and some wonderful examples of abolitionist books. I was introduced to the artwork of Richard Dadd, who painted the image on the left. I'd love to read a biography on him, but I haven't found a good one yet. There was also an exhibit on Turner, who I didn't give enough credit to, I think; I really liked his more abstract watercolors a lot.

Then my friend and I came home and made a wonderful dinner of pasta and veggies, with a caprese salad on the side. Mmmm.

No comments: