Saturday 7 July 2007

Realization of Yesterday:

London and Los Angeles are Two Very Different Cities.

I think I walked around 8 miles yesterday--something I can't imagine doing on the streets of Los Angeles. (In fact, I walked so much that at 8:30pm, I was quite happy going to sleep and ignoring my sore feet.) Sure, the London public transportation system is worlds' above L.A.'s, but the layout of the city is also much friendlier to pedestrians. At home in Los Angeles, there's no real reason why I couldn't walk down to Culver City on the weekends, or up to the University every day, but I can't imagine doing it at all. Steve Martin was right: "A walk??? In L.A.??? It just doesn't happen.

The day started with a trek from my room up to the Camden Market with Dr. Virago. We got there early enough to beat the crowds and went into the rows and rows of stalls without it being too crowded. In the middle of all the knock-off designer clothing and fake pashminas, we stumbled on a local designer who had an array of her own appliquéd skirts. Her name was Nicola Quilter, and she was such a cool woman! (Beware, her website will play music on opening.) I ended up getting the skirt on the left, which will look super-cute with black tights and boots. The picture really doesn't do it justice. Dr. Virago and I also really liked the skirt on the right as well. (You can, of course, go visit her blog for a picture of her skirt!

We walked around the food booths at the Market as well. We settled on West African food, after noticing the sign for Goat Curry, and we were not disappointed at all (although I was almost tempted away by the Bavarian booth, which featured some Swabian dishes that looked really interesting). The Goat Curry was cooked in a giant wok-like pan, of which Dr. V snapped some photos and I'll upload them to Flickr once she gives them to me.

We walked along the Camden canals for a mile or so, looking at the 'long boats,' and wishing that we had thought to spend a week on one, slowing meandering up and down the canals. There was one moment as we were walking under a bridge that made me realize with some clarity that I was no longer in Los Angeles. A beautiful steeple rose over the willow trees and reflected on the water; an accordionist was playing and the sun (yes, the sun!!) was beating down on us. We walked by the London Zoo and saw African Wild Dogs and Warthogs basking in the sun as well.

After that, we walked to Leicester Square to meet the friends with whom we supped earlier this week at a pub. I had my first Pimm's Cup, which was just the thing I needed after walking another 2 miles. After my pint of cider, I was happily chatting with friends!

1 comment:

Dr. Virago said...

I have so many pictures from the day that I may have to make you a CD. But I'll e-mail a couple of the best ones, to go with this post, now.

And yeah, you did walk at least 8 miles, since with my back and forth I walked 10. (I mapped it on Gmaps to be sure.) Wow.