Sunday 8 July 2007

Realization of the Day:

Today, I start making London my home.

This was a hard thing to admit to myself this morning on my way to the market to buy dinner supplies for tonight: that I need to make London my home for the next three months. This week consisted of me sullenly watching Dead Wood on my computer, taking too many naps and only eating peanut butter sandwiches and an occasional apple for dinner. Obviously I can't do this for three months, not only because I'd end up like the Labrador retriever from one of the first Got Milk Ads (which, incidentally, never gets old), but also because I refuse to look back on this experience as one of those 'I should have' moments.



Yes, I miss my partner-in-crime terribly--I think everyone knows this. We are much better at adventuring together, which is why we make the amazing crime-fighting duo that we do. But I'm learning so much that one doesn't as a tourist on a whirlwind trip through town, even if I am doing it without K's help. (And for once, I'll know a place better than he will, and I'll get to play tour guide when he comes to visit me!) I'm learning about quiet, tree-filled streets with yummy-looking pubs and Italian eateries; about the ever present square filled with pigeons, old ladies, and barking dogs; about the little corner markets filled with fresh produces and managers that constantly sweep away dust from their sidewalk all day.

On my way to Waitrose this morning, I stopped at Patisserie Deux Amis and had a lovely cafe au lait and flaky plum pastry. And for tonight's dinner, I'm making one of my favorite pasta dishes, complete with a bottle of French chardonnay and dark chocolate for dessert.

To the right (on the sidebar of this page), you'll now find links to restaurants that I want to try while I'm here, and places I want to see.

1 comment:

medieval woman said...

Hee, hee - your description of your crime-fighting duo reminds me of: "Wonder Twin powrs...activate!"

Glad you're feeling better - the pasta recipe looks great! I've actually been to that restaurant, Al Forno, many times - yum!. And I'm JEALOUS as hell that there's proper Indonesian there! The Dutchman is in Holland right now and has had, like, 3 rijsttafels so far. Not fair, nope, nope...

But I hope you enjoy your exploration!