Sunday 27 July 2008

And we're back...

I'm sitting here on our couch, looking at the last of our moving boxes. We've just started making a home in Seattle and I'm leaving for a month? It doesn't seem very fair to Kevin or Gus-the-cat, but a job is a job, so off I go.

I'm teaching a Shakespeare course this summer for English majors at my university. Two professors, to teaching assistants (of which I am one), and 80 undergraduates, many of whom have never travelled abroad before. Perhaps I should pack some Maalox? In the course of a month, we'll read eight plays, see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform them, and in most cases, talk with actors and directors about the plays. Our first two weeks are in London (where the 'kids' will go completely crazy), and we'll be in Stratford for the last two weeks (where they'll soon realize how boring English villages really are).

But before the students descend on Thursday, I'm visiting my home-away-from-home, the British Library, for a few days to get some research done. Sadly, I won't have my fancy pass like I did last year, so I'll be using the Reading Room like everyone else. I am very excited though because I get to see my friends and be around manuscripts again.

1 comment:

medieval woman said...

Hey, that's great! I didn't know you were teaching there as well - cool!

Glad you got there okay!