Thursday 5 July 2007

Realization of the Day:

There is a definite etiquette to using an umbrella on a crowded sidewalk.

People in Southern California definitely don't have this down. When I'm walking to classes, short people with umbrellas have nearly taken out my eye on numerous occasions. Californians hold there umbrellas very close to the tops of their heads, so most of their view is obstructed. Today, while walking home in a drizzle, I noticed that everyone held their umbrella at least a foot above their head as to be aware of who was walking towards them on the sidewalk.

No eyes were poked out in the writing of this post!

(The new picture, by the way, was taken on my walk to work this morning. The background building is amazing -- it just comes out of nowhere. I'm amazed by its spires and red color every morning.)

1 comment:

Ancrene Wiseass said...

Very true!

People here look at me as though I'm a nut when I raise my umbrella while passing them. I guess they'd rather get poked in the eye?