Tuesday 3 July 2007

Realization of the Day:

I am still really afraid of thunder and lightning.

My windows just shook with the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard. This even tops the summer storm I witnessed in Minnesota, which really freaked me out. The weather here is bizarrely changeable, which is something that is very new for me. It's definitely not the "70 degrees and sunny" I've come to expect. Earlier today I basked in the sun on the W.B.L.'s piazza; walking home I was caught in the rain. Even the rain here is different: giant, heavy drops that immediately saturate one's clothing and hair.

The clouds are always moving here as well, which gives the landscape around me an ever-changing feel. Certain buildings look different when wet. So do cafes. It must be a never-ending battle for the cafes that try and have some kind of outdoor seating.

Tomorrow, provided I can escape my boss, I'm going to meet with an internet friend for lunch! It will be nice to talk with someone who knows me, if only from my usual web-log.

5 comments:

acronym enthusiast said...

Ah, the London rain, it is the staple of the Wimbledon, which the JazzyP has been following for the last week.
We miss you but are glad to hear that your time "in town," as Jane Austen would say, is going so well! MORE PICS!

Wegie said...

To be fair, even we think that the current weather is atrocious. Normally at this time of the year in London it'll be about (pauses to convert) 68 - 75 degrees and intermittently sunny. The kind of stuff we got today is quite amazing.

Alison said...

Wegie--

I rather like the weather! It's novel for me to have rain, so I'm enjoying your 'atrocious' weather quite a bit!

Morgan

Unknown said...

OMG, thunder can be amazing. Coming from the west coast, I had no idea until I moved to Colorado. The first time I heard "real" thunder, I literally fell off the couch, I jumped so hard with surprise!! And I was sitting all the way back like a normal person. I'm definitely not a fan of the stuff, but I can't help be a little fascinated by it.

Wegie said...

The wettest June since rainfall records began in 1914 and you're *enjoying* the weather? Truly, Californians are all mad!

Wegie boggles gently to herself and continues packing for her escape to Italy . . . where she is reliably informed that they have sunshine for more than ten minutes a week ;-)