Saturday 17 February 2007

Why I'm Here

I guess I should explain myself, now that I've given a few people this address. I'll be spending my summer working at an internship at World's Biggest Library (hereafter W.B.L.). This week I realized that I had never been out of my home state of California for longer than 3 weeks, so the three months away from my husband, my locale, and my peeps will be hard for me; but this is probably the coolest opportunity I've ever been given academically, so I have to take it and run like hell (because W.B.L. will take it away at any minute; I just know it!).

So for the next 6 months I plan to use this blog as a place to post all of my silly questions about living abroad; to talk about the plans that I'm making; and to keep my family and friends informed about what's going on in the wind up to my big move.

After that, this blog will turn into a place wherein I will describe my continuing shock at all things foreign and strange.

So, hello family and friends. Please feel free to leave comments, advice, and questions!

5 comments:

Ancrene Wiseass said...

Prepare yourself for the weirdness of what is possibly the world's most dumbass candy-selling strategy: Yorkie's "Not for Girls" slogan.

More here: http://www.thefword.org.uk/reviews/2002/05/not_for_girls_t

Ancrene Wiseass said...

Uh, that link should be

http://www.thefword.org.uk/reviews/2002/05/not_for_girls_t.

Anonymous said...

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have (to the best of my ability) as I lived in the U.K. for a bit. I'm trying to remember the appropriate Virginia Woolf quote about London in June, but suffice it to say, it's an amazing experience.

I'm very excited for you!

---easter

Anonymous said...

Happy to help in any way. You'll be living close to mu old stomping grounds, and I had a Reader's Pass at WBL.
One hint: Go for a quick visit your first day, just to order the books on the computer system. As I recall, it's a little sticky. Books most likely won't get delivered to your chosen Reading Room from the stacks until the next day. So plan on Day One; Start work on Day Two. Love, Fiddy

Unknown said...

Good heavens, Morgan - is this you?? Of Aud the Deep Minded? I didn't knw you were in the UK for the summer - have a great time! I loved doing research there and at the Bodleian - what kind of stuff will you be doing at WBL??