Wednesday 5 September 2007

Sunday, Lovely Sunday

On Sunday, my friend from W.B.L. and I went to down to Richmond, a town in the southwest of London. It's a posh town, with upscale stores like Max Mara and such, but B. and I ignored those in favor of seeing Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal on the big screen. Even though I consider myself quite the medieval movie buff, I had never seen this film, so I was really excited to get the chance. I now understand why everyone wanted me to see it so much! I really liked Bergman's portrayal of the over-zealous clergy, as well as his casting of Death. I want to see it again before I make any other judgments, however.

After our movie screening, we walked along the Thames, which borders the town. Edwardian and Victorian mansions face the river. The path was filled with bikers, runners, and walkers enjoying the views of Egyptian Geese and Canada Geese puttering along amongst the rowboats. Had we world enough and time, we would have gone to Hampton Court, but we settled for views of the majestic Ham House.

After we finished our walk, we stopped at the White Cross Pub for a 1/2 pint of cider, as the Thames slowly rose to high tide, covering most of the sidewalks near the water's edge. Then we caught a matinée of Lady Chatterley and afterwards ate leftover bread and cheese for dinner whilst trying to avoid getting pecked at by hungry geese. (I highly recommend Lady Chatterley to everyone who liked the book. I've seen it twice and it's a truly beautiful film.)

I'd post pictures of my adventures, but my silly camera has decided to ignore my computer (or vice versa) so my photos will have to wait for now.

No comments: