Friday 7 September 2007

Realization of the Day:

I love Duke Humfrey's Reading Room!

I'm sitting in Duke Humfrey's Reading Room at Oxford at the moment. I needed to come back and look at the rest of the manuscripts that I needed before I go back to the States. It feels strange having a laptop here --it was built in the 15th century, folks. The century that I study! It's so quiet and nice here. I'm working by a window and have 5 manuscripts stacked up beside me and another 5 waiting for me at the front desk.

I'm going to go to the pub across the street for lunch. I had the best venison bangers and mash (sausage and mashed potatoes) there last time I was here, so I'm hoping that it's on special again. And the rhubarb crumble! Mmmmmm. There's really no point to this post, I'm afraid. I'm just ever-so-happy to be doing what I love in a place that still has the remnants of lat-medieval paint on the walls. I'm trying to cram as much of this into my memory as possible so I don't forget a minute.

1 comment:

medieval woman said...

Oh yeah - is that pub the White Deer? The White Hart? The White Something that leaps??? Just down the sidwalk from Balliol? I luv that place. Cider.....