Sunday 9 September 2007

Marlyebourne High Street, etc.

I had a wonderful time today exploring a whole new area of London: Marlyebourne, which is a 2 mile walk from my dorm. H. and I went for brunch at Le Pan Quotidien (even though it's a chain, their 'bread basket' can't be beat for value and yumminess) and walked down Marlyebourne High Street perusing the shops.

We found a farmer's market along the way, which was incredibly impressive. Every king of meat was accounted for, even game (mmmmmm...), 3 cheese vendors, a person selling fresh eggs, and 3 people selling bread and homemade flour, in addition to all the vegetable stalls. It made me smile that I could probably do most of my weekly shopping there if I lived in London for a longer period. It had everything one needs for amazing, good quality meals. H. and I picked up a fresh loaf of bread, carrots, an eggplant/aubergine, bell peppers, and amazing-looking fresh mushrooms for a ratatouille, and we stopped at the Fromagerie and found a wonderful goat cheese to go with our bread. (I just had our dinner, and it was a wonderful feast of fresh produce, with melon for dessert!)

We walked around the shops and I finally spent my birthday money that my mother and father gave me buying a pair of shoes for autumn (like the ones to the left, but with a lower heel and in brown) from Shoon. These will look great with pants or with my usual 4os-inspired skirts, so I'm very happy to have them, especially since they're really nicely made, with beautiful leather. I love shoe shopping over here much more since London gets more shoes from Italian shoemakers than the States do.

After we were done shopping we went to Regent's Park and walked around. If bird flu ever hits, all I can say is to stay away from that place. I saw an impressive number of waterfowl there, but the pigeons were everywhere and particularly nasty. There were feathers all over the grass. H. and I managed to find a quiet bench where the ducks and shade were plentiful and we read for an hour. Just sitting on my bench I saw: Mute Swans, a stray Whooper Swan, Tufted Ducks, Bean Geese, Shelducks, Pochard, Red-Crested Pochard (which was the cutest duck ever), and my favorite bird of the day, a Black Swan. (Please visit this site for pictures of the other waterfowl mentioned above.)

It was a wonderful and relaxing way to spend a Sunday!

No comments: