Friday 21 September 2007

I met a fool in the forest, a motley fool.

B. and I skipped out a little early from the office and went to see Kenneth Branagh's new film adaptation of As You Like It. It was opening night at the local cinema house and Branagh was doing a Q&A afterwards, so we couldn't resist. As it happened, two of the actors were on hand to introduce the film, Brian Blessed (whom you'll recognize by voice alone, and Adrien Lester.

I should have known from the opening screen that it was going to be wretched. This play is wonderful. The film took out all the poignancy of Rosalind's once-amazing character. In this film she seemed like a simpering Celia instead of a smart and witty Shakespearean character. Branagh built up the beginning of the play (when the Duke is usurped by his brother) so much that apparently there was no time to develop any of the main characters at all. The wonderful thing about this play for me is that Shakespeare seems to be saying that one's love should be one's best friend...that everyone needs masculine and feminine characteristics to be a whole person. There was none of that wonderful awkwardness that this play makes so palpatable when Orlando finds himself opening up to the crossed-dress Rosalind. Some of the best lines of the play (e.g. 'I can live no longer by thinking.') were completely cold. Gah. Where did my Shakespeare go?

Folks, Alfred Molina was Touchstone. Every time he came on screen I wanted to throttle him. This alone should make one run for the hills! (Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very talented actor, but Touchstone, he is not.) Kevin Kline was a wonderful Jaques though -- he stole the show for me.

B. and I were so disappointed that we left before the Q&A. We were far too afraid we'd ask a mean question and be snarky.

No comments: