Tuesday 4 September 2007

Book Review!

The Babes in the Woods, by Ruth Rendell

I love mystery novels! Not the kind of mystery novels that feature one person figuring out a crime, but the deep, psychological novels of the type that Patricia Highsmith writes where one has to interrogate their own opinions on humanity whilst they read. Rendell is my favorite of the British mystery writers because in addition to having her master sleuth books (the Chief Inspector Wexford novels), she also writes books of the type that I like. This was not one of those books.

Chief Inspector Wexford is a really great detective; in fact, had I to choose one to solve a crime, I'd probably go with him over the 1,000s of other book detectives (with the exception of dear Sherlock, of course...but he'd have to be on an opium-free day!). Wexford is smart, loves literature, and is wise enough to see into people's twisted realities.

But I'm not mentioning this book, am I? It was good, but it didn't hold my attention at all, which is why this book review is very tardy compared to the many I have posted previously. I just couldn't finish the damned book, which is not a good sign when it's a mystery! That said, I highly recommend most of Rendell's other novels, especially the ones sans Wexford. 2.5/5: Eh

No comments: