Wednesday 1 August 2007

Book Review!

Five Quarters of the Orange, by Joanne Harris

Now everyone knows what I do when I'm sick! I read all day. Seriously. The only time I got up was to grab a few mugs of tea and half a sandwich for lunch!

This is by the same woman who wrote Chocolat. Basically, her shtick is to write books about people loving food, and as a consummate food lover, I have no problem with this! I'm sure her books are pretty formulaic, but since I've never read any of the other ones, I was more than okay with this book.

It's set in France during World War II. Most of you know of my love for all movies and books set in this time-period, so this book automatically became interesting to me right away. It's a book about a young girl growing up on a farm, and her mother cooking things like clafoutis and Far Breton. They make liqueurs, grow their own food, make their own goat's cheese. Basically what Kevin and I want to do when we 'grow up,' except without the constant threat of the Nazis, of course. It reminded me of the film that's out right now called The Waitress because the mother in this novel pours her soul into her culinary concoctions.

This isn't a deep book, but it didn't need to be. Definitely a good beach read or plane read. I think that Rachel, my mom, and Kevin's mom would like this book a lot, especially Harris' way of describing all the wonderful food! 3.5/5: Me Likey

No comments: