Monday 20 August 2007

À bientôt!


I return to you a well-travelled girl! K. and I are just back from our weekend in Paris, and it was amazing. Paris has always been one of those cities you grow up with -- seeing pictures of people sipping coffee at street-side cafes, kissing at the Eiffel Tower, vendors along the banks of the Seine. It's always been so much in my mind, that I wasn't very excited about going there. "It's like New York," I said (and I've never been there either). "You don't have to go there to know what it's like."

I take it all back. Paris is full of street-side cafes and vendors along the Seine, but it's nothing like I imagined it at all. Having never been to the continent before, I don't know if I had the vocabulary before now to even describe Paris correctly. It's so different than London. A lot of London is made of dark-bricked Victorians--add the dark sky and deep-green trees and London can be a dark, dreary place. I'm sure Paris can as well, but most of the 17th century buildings are made of a cream-colored stone that gives the eye a flash of light against the dark cobblestones.

It was lovely, all told. During the next few days I'll be picking out a few moments from the trip to highlight on this blog. K. left this morning, so I'm feeling a little down-and-out (you know, listening to Nina Simone and drinking milky tea). Once my mood bounces back, I'm sure I'll resume my daily posting!

2 comments:

medieval woman said...

I'm glad you had fun! I love it there as well - did you kiss under the Eiffel tower? We did and then saw guys with Uzis walking around in full camo gear (security) - it kinda spoiled the mood....

thebluestocking said...
This comment has been removed by the author.