Tuesday 24 July 2007

Realization of the Day:

The frustration stage has begun.

Jasmine, one of my best friends back home, wrote me today about the phases of cultural acclimation. Even though she was joking, boy do these things sound familiar to me right now.

1. The Honeymoon Stage
2. The Frustration Stage
3. The Understanding Stage
4. The Acclimation Stage

Obviously one experiences various stages depending on one's mood, but it seems that today I've definitely hit the Frustration Stage of my trip. The newness of England and of my job is wearing off a little day-by-day. I still love my job and being in England, but it's hard to be in a tiny (really, it's basically as wide as my arm span) dorm room, and live in a world that puts custard on every dessert and corn in its tuna salad. It feels great to be here, but it's also uncomfortable because I'm not at home.

Most of my frustration is exacted on myself for feeling whiny when I'm in an amazing situation. But even awesome situations aren't all polka-dots and moonbeams. I'm settling down in London, and I guess things have just become more normal, including my moods (which, as those of you who know me well realize, swing on a pretty wide arc).

It's time for me to go to bed, and I can only hope that tomorrow will be a much cheerier day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose that knowing there is frozen custard "ice cream" in St. Louis would make you feel better....Sorry that you are "dipping" downward...hmmm.

Kevin will be visiting soon. That will be a nice vacation of sorts!