Friday 27 July 2007

I had a post all planned out yesterday, but I was rudely interrupted by an internet outage in my dorm. I had a very worried husband calling me when I woke up this morning since I didn't make my usual goodnight call to him.

Truthfully, I went to bed early last night. I met a friend from school at WBL, and we headed off on the Northern Line tube to the north of London to visit Hampstead Heath, a famous 791 acre park in London. It's not so much of a park, but an area left to its own devices. There are bogs, meadows, a few giant manor houses, Romantic-era follies, bathing ponds, and heaven only knows what else. It's bordered by Hampstead, a rather posh area of London full of boutiques, beautiful houses (a few with crooked chimneys), and the best crepe stand EVER.

We walked through a forest with the scariest tree I've seen. At the top of a meadowy hill one can see the entire city of London, including Big Ben. I could have walked around here for hours. It was windy and cold on the top of the hill, but the views were certainly worth it! There were tons of birds flitting about. I managed to get a great view of a beautiful Green Woodpecker.

Afterwards, we walked down to La Creperie de Hampstead (that's right, a crepe stand with a website) for a Belgium milk and dark-chocolate crepe. I've only had crepes in California. After tasting this giant slice of heaven, I don't think I'll ever settle again. K. and I are going here the minute he gets to London. And yes, the crepe was my dinner. After tasting such unadulterated goodness, I didn't want to sully my taste buds with my usual PB&J.

No comments: